Macaroni and Cheese is an all time comfort food, when it hot, cheesy and ready for any meal. Children love it and sometime only food they will eat. So give the kids a treat and have macaroni and cheese with vegetables. They need their vegetables too.
This is an old favorite summer recipe I recently found in an old cookbook box. Macaroni and Cheese is easily made and a real keeper without the mayonnaise to worry about on an outdoor picnic. It is also very good for a week night dinner.
Macaroni and Cheese Salad
- Large kettle to cook macaroni
- Large bowl to prepare salad
- 1½ cups dry macaroni
- 4 cups water
- ¼ cup celery diced
- ¼ cup carrots shredded
- ¼ cup yellow onion, diced
- ¼ cup green pepper diced
- ¼ cup pickle relish sweet relish
- 1 10½ can cheddar cheese soup
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar cider or wine
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard Dijon mustard an option
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1-2 tbsp black olives sliced
- Bring water to boil, add macaroni to boil 9 to 10 minutes.
- Drain macaroni, put in bowl and cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Chop vegetables.
- Mix soup and seasonings, beat with mixer until well blended.
- Add vegetables and the dressing into macaroni.
- Option to decorate with sliced black olives on top before chilling 8 hours
I am always planning a full meal with whatever dish I will be serving. With the macaroni and cheese salad, think of a casual menu such as Barbeque chicken wings, a green salad and Platte County Pie.
Let me know if you try the Mararoni and Cheese salad.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® Brings you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2019 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.