Summer time for picnics and favorite foods: Potato Salad
Summer is the time to bring out the salads and serve food we do not cook all winter when we are hungry for comfort foods. Let’s call potato salad as the summer time comfort food. What else goes with hot dogs, hamburgers, bratwursts, and barbecues and picnic?
I usually use Russet potatoes for potato salad, however, while at the Farmer’s Market there were fresh Yukon Gold Potatoes. I had to try them; successfully using the same recipe, I marinated the cooked hot peeled potatoes with the sweet pickle relish to add more sweet and distinctive flavor.
Yukon Gold Potato Salad
- 5 Yukon Gold potatoes, medium size
- Water to cover
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup sweet pickle relish, more if needed to flavor potatoes
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 hard boiled egg, diced
- ½-3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash paprika
- Boil the washed, unpeeled potatoes in the water and salt, until tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Drain off water
- Peel potatoes
- Dice in ½ inch sizes, use potatoes that crumble into pieces or somewhat mashed
- Add the pickle relish to absorb into the potatoes to add flavor, more or less as needed for taste.
- Add the vegetables and egg to the potatoes
- Combine mayonnaise, prepared mustard and celery seed.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully stir dressing into the potatoes, vegetables and egg.
- Refrigerate overnight.
Summer time meals are so easy to fix without getting into sandwiches and chips. We are having plenty of green beans, , sauteed yellow squash, zucchinis, fried corn and tomatoes with our potato salad. Next comes the fresh fruits of fall.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.