Roast Beef Dinner for Two
Having a Roast Beef Dinner is a big event at cookbookinabox’s house. Several reasons which many probably may identify . Health is our biggest reason, fat, cholesterol is higher in red meats. Expense, it is more expensive to have choice cuts on a regular basis. Meatless meals is often our choice. However, there are times when a nice Roast Beef Dinner brings good memories and is comfort food.
We have the cast iron dutch oven that was my husband’s grandmothers. It had made a long trip through Texas when the family travel by horse and wagon in the early 1900’s. So it is always a treat and fun to use this kettle. I also like to use this kettle for soups as well.
Since there are only 2 of us in the home, I bought a small beef bottom round roast under 2 pounds. The recipe was adapted from Joy Of Cooking’s, Beef Pot Roast, cooked in a convection oven instead of the stove.
Preparing the beef roast for the oven
After baking the beef roast and removing to a plate to keep warm, I decanted the juices and fat into a fat separator. I poured off the juices into a measuring cup, and poured about 4 tablespoons fat back into the dutch oven to make the roux for gravy. I used the juices and added cream to make 2 cups for the liquid to the 4 tablespoons of fat and 4 tablespoons of flour.
Making the roux for gravy
- 2 pound beef bottom round roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, finely sliced
- 1½ cups beef stock or bouillon
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons fat
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups meat juices
- cream to make 2 cups liquid
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Trim off fat, make cuts into the side of the meat to prevent curling
- Flour all sides of the roast.
- Heat the oil in the Dutch oven.
- Brown the roast on all sides.
- Add the onions, carrots, and broth to the roast.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven 2 hours or until meat is tender, to 155 F to 165 F for medium well.
- Remove meat from pan to a dish; cover to keep warm
- Strain off the vegetables.
- Decant the juices and fat into a fat separator.
- Pour off the juices, on top, to a measuring cup, add cream to make 2 cups liquid
- Pour 4 tablespoon fat and juices to the Dutch oven, stir to loosen the bits and pieces of the meat.
- With a whisk, add the flour, stirring until blended.
- Gradually add the 2 cups of the liquid, stirring with the whisk to smooth.
- Simmer the gravy up to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and correct seasonings as needed.
- Add ½ teaspoon thyme.
- Serve over the meat and potatoes.
The Roast Beef Dinner menu
Marinated Vegetable Salad
Mixer Whole Wheat Bread
Roast Beef and Beef Gravy
Mashed Russet Potatoes
American Persimmon Cake
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox®. All rights reserved.