Roast Beef Dinner for Two
Having a Roast Beef Dinner is a big event at cookbookinabox’s house. Several reasons which many probably may identify . Health is our biggest reason, fat, cholesterol is higher in red meats. Expense, it is more expensive to have choice cuts on a regular basis. Meatless meals is often our choice. However, there are times when a nice Roast Beef Dinner brings good memories and is comfort food.
We have the cast iron dutch oven that was my husband’s grandmothers. It had made a long trip through Texas when the family travel by horse and wagon in the early 1900’s. So it is always a treat and fun to use this kettle. I also like to use this kettle for soups as well.
Since there are only 2 of us in the home, I bought a small beef bottom round roast under 2 pounds. The recipe was adapted from Joy Of Cooking’s, Beef Pot Roast, cooked in a convection oven instead of the stove.
Preparing the beef roast for the oven
After baking the beef roast and removing to a plate to keep warm, I decanted the juices and fat into a fat separator. I poured off the juices into a measuring cup, and poured about 4 tablespoons fat back into the dutch oven to make the roux for gravy. I used the juices and added cream to make 2 cups for the liquid to the 4 tablespoons of fat and 4 tablespoons of flour.
Making the roux for gravy
- 2 pound beef bottom round roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, finely sliced
- 1½ cups beef stock or bouillon
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 4 tablespoons fat
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups meat juices
- cream to make 2 cups liquid
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Trim off fat, make cuts into the side of the meat to prevent curling
- Flour all sides of the roast.
- Heat the oil in the Dutch oven.
- Brown the roast on all sides.
- Add the onions, carrots, and broth to the roast.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven 2 hours or until meat is tender, to 155 F to 165 F for medium well.
- Remove meat from pan to a dish; cover to keep warm
- Strain off the vegetables.
- Decant the juices and fat into a fat separator.
- Pour off the juices, on top, to a measuring cup, add cream to make 2 cups liquid
- Pour 4 tablespoon fat and juices to the Dutch oven, stir to loosen the bits and pieces of the meat.
- With a whisk, add the flour, stirring until blended.
- Gradually add the 2 cups of the liquid, stirring with the whisk to smooth.
- Simmer the gravy up to 10 minutes to thicken.
- Taste and correct seasonings as needed.
- Add ½ teaspoon thyme.
- Serve over the meat and mashed potatoes.
cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.
The Roast Beef Dinner menu
Marinated Vegetable Salad
Mixer Whole Wheat Bread
Roast Beef and Beef Gravy
Mashed Russet Potatoes
American Persimmon Cake
Julia Ann andcookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® Spices, bring you great recipes, outstanding herbs and spices for your cooking experience. ©2007-2015 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox®. All rights reserved.