Cooking from scratch can be time consuming, there are just times when short cuts are necessary. Ta Da!! Ginger, Tomato and Lentil Soup.
A can of tomato soup is handy to have on the kitchen shelf for a quick lunch. I have a husband who prefers a thick soup. So tomato soup at our house may have various flavors and additions. Usually I will add angel hair pasta, rice, beans, or left overs of an entree or vegetable. This time it was a deliberately planned new recipe.
In the pantry was a bag of red lentils. So that was the beginning of thickening the soup. Cooking lentils does not take a long time, about 20 minutes for 1/3 cup of them. I add finely diced onion and minced garlic. All into the water to heat and simmer to soft lentils. Instead of draining the water, most was absorbed into the simmering.
Next I added the can of tomato soup, 1 can of water, maybe a bit more later, the freshly grated ginger, oregano, salt and pepper to cook an additional 15 minutes.
- 2 cups water
- ⅓ cup red lentils
- ¼ cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 10¾ ounce canned tomato soup
- 1 can water
- 1 teaspoon raw ginger, freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black ground pepper
- ½ cup mild Cheddar cheese, shredded or cheese of your choice.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix together water, lentils, onion and garlic.
- Heat to simmer 20 minutes or until lentils are softened.
- Add can of tomato soup.
- Add one can of water, more if needed or preferred thinner.
- Add grated ginger, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Serve into soup bowls topped with the shredded cheese.
While the soup was simmering, I fixed a fruit compote of mixed canned and fresh fruit with yogurt on top, decorated with a walnut half. Supplied some crackers and lemonade. There was a quick lunch for 3 or 4 in less than an hour.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes, ©2007-2017 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com All rights reserved.