Summer Vegetable Soup
A Healthy and Hearty Summer Vegetable Soup
When the world is upside down with quarantine and social distancing to stay well, try a familiar treat from your own kitchen. Here is an easy recipe for vegetable soup to provide home-style comfort.
Summer Vegetable Soup
- Soup kettle
- 1 teas olive oil extra virgin
- ½ cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup celery diced
- ½ cup carrots sliced
- ½ cup green and/or red bell peppers diced
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 4 small red potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small zucchini cut into ½ slices
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes and juice
- 32 oz vegetable broth or low-fat chicken broth
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- ¼ cup ozro pasta
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasonings
- 1 teas ground black pepper
- 1. Clean and cut all vegetables before starting to cook soup.2. Heat olive oil in a 6 quart soup kettle.3. Add onion, garlic, carrots, and celery; cook until soft and onion translucent.4. Add the remaining vegetables, broth, tomato paste and pasta.5. Add the seasonings and pepper.6. Stir to blend, cover and bring to a boil.7. Simmer for 30 or 45 minutes. Serve.
Summer Vegetable Soup is healthy and hearty. This soup is without meat. I use low-fat chicken broth; vegetable broth would be good to use too. Chopping up the vegetables is the most time-consuming; I like them close in size for even cooking. When short of time, I will prepare the day ahead, cook for about 15 minutes, allow to cool and put in refrigerator until ready to heat. The next day, I put it in the crock pot and cook on low until all the vegetables are tender.
More broth or water can be added to make it a thinner soup. It does make a large quantity and it freezes well.
When I make soup I will put the simmering soup in pint jars to refrigerate to use later. The lids usually seal, but since not processed in a pressure canner, the soup should be kept refrigerated and used within 2 weeks.
I like to serve cornbread and a orange-pineapple jello salad with the soup for a light lunch with friends.
Enjoy a healthy and hearty Summer Vegetable Soup even in the winter time.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice®bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2021Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.