The recipe for Roasted Vegetables, Cheese & Crumb Topping is an adaption of a recipe I found on the internet. Thanks to The Cooking Coach of Amsterdam Private Tasting Tours for sharing her recipe of Roast Vegetable, Ham and Cheese Crumble.
This winter it seems I have been into one dish dinners and of comfort foods for the family. This is a perfect fit recipe with ample variety in choice of vegetables, meat or without meat, and cheese. We all have our favorite fruit crisps or streusels for dessert. This is a savory crumb topping to be used on other dishes such as chicken pot pie and green bean casserole.
I used the vegetables available in my refrigerator: leeks, zucchini, yellow onion, and crimini mushrooms. Fresh sausage links were cut into bite sizes to dot over the top of the vegetables.
The cheese sauce was a combination of mild Colby jack cheese and Asiago Cheese. The crumb topping was of flour, butter and Asiago cheese.
Before assembling, the sausage was cooked to remove extra fat, and the vegetables roasted at a high temperature to lightly brown and soften the vegetables. While roasting the vegetables, the crumb topping was made of flour, butter and seasoned with dried thyme, salt and pepper.
Roasted Vegetables, Cheese & Crumb Topping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 leeks cleaned, halved and cut into 3 inch lengths
- 2 zucchini cut into quarters length ways and cut into 3 inch lengths
- 1/2 cup yellow onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- I /2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 fresh sausage link cut into inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- CHEESE SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 6 ounces grated Colby cheese
- 3 ounces grated Asiago cheese
- CRUMB TOPPING
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cover baking tray with aluminum foil, spread out vegetables and drizzle with the olive oil, mix to coat with the oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until browned and partially tender.
- CHEESE SAUCE
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan.
- Add the flour, stir with a whisk, it will be thick.
- Gradually add milk, whisking to smooth out the lumps.
- Cook over low heat about 2 minutes, stirring with wooden spoon.
- Add the cheeses to melt and stir occasionally.
- CRUMB TOPPING
- Mix the flours.
- Grate in the butter or cut with pastry cutter until resembles course cornmeal.
- Stir in the cheese, thyme leaves black pepper and salt.
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Pour the roasted vegetables into a shallow oven proof dish.
- Spread the mushrooms and cooked sausage on top of vegetables.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over all.
- Add a sprinkling of cheese if desired.
- Bake 400 F 20 25-minutes until browned and bubbling..
Now it is your salad choice with the Roasted Vegetables, Sausage, Cheese Crumb.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.”Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.”nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.