Quiche, France’s answer to Italy’s Pizza
They are both called pies, and are served in or on a crust. The quiche is a flaky pastry shell filled with an egg custard of cheese, meats and/or vegetables.. The pizza is a yeast dough crust for savory toppings, hot and spicy also of cheese, meats and/or vegetables. Introducing the Cheese-Bacon Quiche also referred to as a Quiche Lorraine.
Quiche Lorriaine was first a custard base of few pieces of meat and poured into a hollowed out bread shell Now the delicious Cheese-Bacon Quiche is poured into a pastry shell. Some quiches have the meats, cheeses or vegetables on the bottom of the pastry shell with the egg custard poured on top. Quiches make a very good breakfast, brunch and small tart-like quiches make tasty appetizers or hors d/oeuvres.
Savory pastry shells can be made by adding egg yolks or Parmesan cheese. The pastry for this particular quiche was made with coconut oil. Coconut oil does not have a flavor of coconut and the pastry is very flaky making it somewhat hard to handle getting into the pie plate. The flakiness of the pie dough adds texture to the custard filling.
Author: Julia Ann
Recipe type: Breakfast - Brunch
- 1 unbaked 8-inch pie shell
- 4 slices bacon
- ½ cup onion, sliced
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- Pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- Dash of hot sauce
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Chill pie shell before filling. Remember to warm a glass pie plate before putting into hot oven.
- Fry the bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Remove from skillet, drain on toweling and crumble.
- Drain excess bacon grease from pan, save 1 teaspoon or enough to cook the onions until transparent.
- In a large bowl, combine milk, eggs, ¼ cup cheese, salt, pepper, sugar, nutmeg and hot sauce.
- Stir in the bacon and onion.
- Pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake 350 F for 35 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.
Menus and serving Recommendations
Cheese-Bacon Quiches served at a brunch could be made in to small pie like tarts, accompanied with bowls of fresh melon and mango and the Sour Cream Bundt Coffee Cake. Lunchtime Cheese-Bacon Quiches would be enjoyed with a nice spring lettuce salad with oranges and pecans or tomatoes and green onions and walnuts. Think quiche for that extra appetizer for your next dinner.
Other sources of quiche recipes.
Julia Ann andcookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes, for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.