Corn and Mushroom Chowder
This is a hearty soup for winter or for a summer luncheon, particularly when fresh corn is available from the local Farmer’s Markets. I am an advocate of using fresh vegetables and fruits. That is the advantage of living in small rural areas. However, I have seen Eataly NYC via of the internet. That is on my bucket list.
When I can’t get the fresh corn, the next best is the frozen bags I have in my freezer. I never freeze enough; end up using grocery store frozen corn. Just not the same, it does not have the milk scraped off the cob as for cream corn.
A Summer Time Treat, fresh corn.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Prepare the roasted red peppers before starting the chowder.
- Mince and chop the vegetables to have ready to put into the soup.
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan or Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and garlic, cooking until onion is translucent.
- Add the roasted red peppers, chopped mushrooms and corn.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables.
- Add Blend, sugar and parsley.
- Stir to blend, cover, bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the milk to the soup, cover and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Do not let boil.
- Pour 1 cup of the soup mixture into blender, mix briefly before adding the beaten egg yolks and cream. *(See notes)
- Return the blended egg mixture to the large soup pan and heat only until hot.
- Fry the bacon pieces until crisp, drain on towelling paper.
- Serve the bowls of soup sprinkled with crisp bacon pieces.
“Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
Roasted Red Peppers
Roasted Red Peppers are a favorite to have on hand in the freezer. I clean and cut them to remove seeds and flatten for broiling about 15 mintues until well charred. Cover them with aluminum foil for another 15 minutes will loosen the skin for easy peeling. Best to wear gloves to prevent staining or burning your fingers. Lay them flat in one layer in freezer bags makes it easier to remove to use in soups, salads, stews, with vegetables, and meats. They are tasty heated with olive oil, oregano flakes and balsamic vinegar for a side dish vegetable.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.