There is a long history behind the Chuckwagon. They were used by the cowboys working on the Texas cattle drives as early as 1867. Each had their own cook, often called “Cookie” and was king of his chuckwagon. The chuckwagon was the social center for the cowboys out on a drive. He determined when, what to eat and sometimes, how much.
Not much different than the home “Cookies” However, I doubt turkey was very the main meat in the stew, not when moving beef across the land. There are some very interesting stories of the chuckwagon history.
Every ready baked potatoes.
My real intention of taking about this stew was the use of prebaked potatoes to have in the refrigerator to add to soups, stews, or for stir frying without the waiting for the potato to bake. I bake four russet potatoes, wrapped in foil for 1 hour at 400 F. They are cooled to room temperature in the foil, and stored until ready for addition to a recipe. That was the beginning of the Chuckwagon Turkey Stew.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoons of jalapeno pepper, diced (more if preferred hotter)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½-3/4 cup cooked or canned navy beans, drained (other canned beans if preferred)
- 14.5 ounces of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1-2 cups baked potatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon Netta Belle's Choice Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- Netta Belle's Choice Sea Salt
- Netta Belle's Choice Ground Black Pepper
- Brown the ground turkey in the olive oil, drain on paper towels, set aside.
- Brown the onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper in olive oil until soft.
- Add the browned turkey to the skillet.
- Sprinkle the flour over the turkey, stir to blend. This is to thicken the juices.
- Add beans, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Stir to blend together.
- Add the seasonings.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery®cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® .All rights reserved.
Enjoy Stone Ground Cornbread
with Chuckwagon Turkey Stew.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2017 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.”Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.