Snow Days are good days for hearty soups to warm you
such as White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup
White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup is a good to have on hand in the freezer or a full pint jar setting in the refrigerator with soup ready to heat for a lunch.
I like to have soup available for quick lunches, so when I make soup, I make 8 cups from the recipe. It is usually very thick with vegetables or the main ingredients. Because it is extra thick, I will add extra 99% fat free natural chicken broth when I reheat 2 cups of White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup.
Preserving the extra soup
The pictures of the white beans illustrate my home cook and canning. After the kettle of soup has cooked, I put the White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup into clean pint jars, seal, let cool to room temperature and set the jars in my refrigerator. It helps to have an extra refrigerator on hand. These jars of soups are usually used in 2 weeks or less. If frozen in freezer bags or plastic freezer containers, the soups could be kept longer.
Benefits of eating White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup
The choice of vegetables can vary with your likes or preferences. This is an excellent way to meet the dietary requirements of 5-13 servings of vegetables and fruits each day. Although fruit does not go in the soup, you have snacks and dessert with your meal. The beans provide fiber and protein, carrots provide vitamin A, peppers contain vitamin C, potatoes are high in potassium and spinach if rich in folate.
White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion small chop
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper small chop
- 1/4 cup celery 1/2 inch slices
- 1/4 cup carrot 1/2 inch slicesl
- 1-2 cups cooked white potato chopped 1/2 inch
- 2 cups cooked white navy beans drained or 16 ounce can of white beans, drained
- 14 ounce can of diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2/3 cups of water or more for thinner soup
- 1 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the white/navy beans or use canned beans.
- Cook the white potato, chop
- Chop the vegetables, onion garlic, pepper celery, carrot, ginger.
- Heat oil in large Dutch Oven or kettle.
- Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots.
- Cook until onion in tender.
- Pour in the beans.
- Add tomatoes and juice.
- Add potatoes.
- Add ginger and seasonings.
- Pour in broth and water.
- Add the frozen spinach.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer.
- Cook until thoroughly heated.
White Bean-Spinach Vegetable Soup Menu Suggestions
Mixer Whole Wheat Bread
Crock Pot Applesauce
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes, for your cooking experience. ©2007-20208 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.