These will soon become your favorite cookie. You don’t have to be a child to like these Loaded Oatmeal Cookies. We had some relatives with us for a week. Well, in midweek, I had to take time out to back another batch. Just too easy to take one on the go.
How can you turn a cookie with molasses, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, old fashion rolled oats and raisins as a bad cookie for you? You forget there is shortening, pecans, chocolate chips and coconut flavoring.
Loaded Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup molasses mild flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 2 cups of whole rolled oats chopped in the blender to smaller pieces
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F or 375 F depending upon your oven's heat.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugars.
- Add eggs, molasses and coconut flavoring to sugar/shortening mixture and thoroughly blend.
- In separate bowl, measure and sift together, flours, wheat germ, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Using a whisk, blend the dry ingredients.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to mixing bowl of wet ingredients, beating after each addition.
- Add the rolled oats, raisins, pecans and chocolate chips.
- Beat at a low speed to thoroughly mix together.
- Form inch balls of cookie dough put on cookie sheet 2 inches apart.
- Flatten balls with a flat bottom glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 350 F 8-10 minutes.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
Cookies are nice to have available when unexpected guests stop by. You do have to remember not to eat them all at once. Cookies are easy to freeze in freeze bags, just don’t tell the family they are in there.
Have you ever planned to make chocolate chip cookies only to discover the chocolate chips had already been eaten. That is when you need plan B. Try the Grand Canyon Hermit Cookies. Yes, they have molasses in them too. No one has eaten my molasses before I used it!
For a change of taste, here are rolled sugar cookies. Takes a little more time or roll out and add icing. They can be make into hearts, candy canes, or cut into circles for pumpkins with butter cream tinted icing. These make pretty cookies for special occasions. An easy recipe.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® Spices, bring  you great recipes, outstanding herbs and spices for your cooking experience.©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice®cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.