Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole
I am trying to get a jump start on comfort foods for fall and winter. Rice, potatoes, and pasta are creamy foods that lead my list. I actually try to balance menus with one of these carbohydrates. Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole is also an excellent entree for a vegetarian meal.
Using canned soup and frozen broccoli speeds up the cooking process. I have started to steam vegetables in the microwave. I put the chopped or diced vegetables in a small bowl, add 1-2 teaspoons water, depending on the amount of vegetables, cover with plastic wrap and steam for 1 minute. Occasionally I will have to add a minute. They are ready to be combined with other vegetables or meats and sauces. I do not add salt or oil to saute.
- ½ cup long grain rice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1-2 tablespoons sweet mini peppers, diced
- 1 cup steamed broccoli cuts or 10 oz. frozen broccoli
- 1 can 10¾ ounces, Nacho cheese soup
- ½ cup milk
- ¼-1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the long grain rice in the chicken broth until broth is absorbed.
- Cut and dice the onion, garlic, peppers.
- Put into a small microwave dish, add 1 teaspoon water.
- Microwave 1 minute or until onion is translucent.
- Steam the cut broccoli, just until crisp.
- In a larger pan blend the Nacho soup and milk, cook until hot and bubbly.
- Add the broccoli, diced vegetables, and rice, stir to blend.
- Pout into a 9 x 9 x 2 casserole.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 F 20 minutes
Round out your meal of Broccoli Rice Cheese Casserole with
Green Beans with Red Pepper Stir Fry
Use your favorite recipe for green beans: canned, frozen or fresh. Fix them by stir-frying, steaming. slow-cooker or in the pressure cooker, with or without ham.
Try the Spinach-Romaine Lettuce Salad.
And for Dessert : American Apple Pie
Enjoy and look for other cookbookinabox® recipes at www.cookbookinabox.com/blog.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® brings you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2017 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® . All rights reserved.