Granola 74! What is that?
Granola 74, what a name for a cereal or snack. As the current saying you hear too much, “it is what it is.” Kellogg’s first sold a granola in 1893 and popular in different mixes since then per Wikipedia. Dr. James Caleb Jackson invented granola in 1863 the Jackson Sanitarium in Dansville, New York. In the 1960’s, fruits and nuts were added to make granola health food during the hippie movement. It appears every decade, the granola gets another update and version.
Always interested in the best snack and foods for our children, during 70’s and 80’s, I was collecting recipes from anywhere. Have you ever sat in a doctor’s office looking to see if anyone was watching to tear out a recipe or to write it down and cram into the diaper bag? Granola 74, just means it is a 1974 recipe which I got from some cookbook out of the local library. I really think I discovered it in the late 60’s at the entrance of 2 children…yeah, the hippie era.
- ½ cup whole almonds
- ½ cup pecan halves
- ½ cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup shredded sweet coconut
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup honey or white or dark corn syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried dates
- Spray oil
- Preheat oven to 250 F.
- Spray oil in pan to be used to bake the granola.
- Measure nuts in blender and pulse until chopped, not finely ground. (Some will be fine on the bottom.)
- Put nuts into the large baking pan.
- Add all the ingredients except the dried fruits.
- Stir to mix well.
- Put pan in oven for 15 minutes. Stir every 15 minutes for 4 times. 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, stir in the raisins,dried cranberries and dates.
- Allow to cool.
- Store in plastic or glass jars.
The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® brings you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2017 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.