A few years ago I was cleaning out boxes stored in a closet. I found a cookbook in a box, Williams-Sonoma, Simple Italian Cooking recipes by Chuck Williams. These recipes started my adventure in Italian cooking and eating. The Mediterranean Diet works for my family with plenty of fresh vegetables and fresh fruit. My Caramelized Oranges with Almonds is adapted from a favorite recipe “Oranges with Mint and Toasted Almonds.” I made a few changes to the recipe and serve as an appetizer, salad or dessert. It is wonderful with a brunch instead of orange juice. Put the oranges on spinach or romaine lettuce the syrup for dressing; there is a salad for dinner of chicken and pasta. After eating a heavy meal of beef stew, Caramelized Oranges with Almonds lend a sweet and light dessert to the meal.
Caramelized Oranges with Almonds
- 1 tablespoon slivered orange zest
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sweet Marsala wine (optional)
- 4 large navel oranges
- 4 tablespoons toasted almond slices
- 4 tablespoons toasted shredded coconut
- Wash and dry oranges.
- Grate the rind off the oranges to get the zest.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the oranges.
- Cut off the peel and white pith.
- Slice the peeled oranges into ½ inch slices, put into a serving bowl.
- Save any orange juice.
- In a medium sauce pan, put the zest, sugar, lemon juice, wine and orange juice.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture is amber colored, about 5 minutes without stirring.
- Remove the syrup from heat and pour over the orange slices.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Serve slices with the toasted almonds and toasted coconut on top.
Suggestions of other recipes to serve with Caramelized Oranges
How do you store your recipes?
I store my recipes in ……….
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® brings you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.