Cauliflower becomes an “in” vegetable.
It is interesting to see how vegetables that have gone unnoticed are now the trend. Kale and collard greens are two that come to mind. Cauliflower is another vegetable now seen with mashed potatoes, or mashed as a side dish, roasting and stir-frying are additional ways of cooking cauliflower. New recipes and preparations teaches us how versatile cauliflower can be. Vegan and vegetarian diets have made a big difference in the way we eat and choose foods. Also having world-wide food communities expands the traditional thinking.
Friday Nights: Pizza Night!
Friday night has long been a pizza night at our house. Traditionally it was ground beef or ground turkey, cheeses, mushrooms and onions. You know the pizza! I began trying different vegetables which was usually zucchini, tomatoes, black olives, mushrooms and onions. Recently I decided to try cauliflower, of course I added cheeses, mushrooms and onion and other stables of a pizza. I get limited in my own adventurousness.
I had a small bag of semolina flour in the freezer I had gotten for pasta. I thought it was time to be using it up. I used semolina flour and all-purpose flour for the crust. I was not impressed with this crust. It was thinner and crispier than my wheat and all-purpose flour dough. The pizza dough recipe I usually use makes a thicker bread-like crust. I have given the recipe for my regular Pizza Dough.
Cauliflower Vegetable Pizza
By the time I was done dressing up the Cauliflower Vegetable Pizza you could not see the cauliflower.
Cauliflower Vegetable Pizza
- PIZZA DOUGH
- 2 1/4 teaspoons dry yeast room temperature
- 1 cup of water at 105-113F
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Extra flour for rolling out the crust.
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups cauliflower 1/4 inch slices and small florets.
- 1 red pepper 1/4 inch slices or rings
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Chopped parsley
- Red pepper flakes
- PIZZA DOUGH
- Put water in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with the yeast.
- Add the honey and olive oil, stir and let set until the mixture becomes foamy on top.
- Add the flour and stir until thick dough and sticky.
- Pour our on a floured bread board and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Roll into a ball, put the dough into a greased bowl and let set for 30-45 minutes, until double.
- Roll out into a pizza pan.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Spread tomato sauce over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the 1 cup of mozzarella cheese evenly over sauce.
- Lay the cauliflower slices and florets evenly on top of the cheese.
- Spread with the onion and garlic.
- Spread the mushroom slices evenly on top.
- Add the cheeses.
- Add chopped parsley and red pepper flakes to taste
1 cup of cauliflower has 29 calories.
Cauliflower is high in Vitamin C
Vitamin K provides anti-inflammatory benefits.
Inhibits tumor growth
Boosts the immune system.
The fiber content provides digestive system support.
CHOOSING THE BEST CAULIFLOWER AND PREPARATION
Select creamy white, clean and solid clusters of florets.
Leaves protect the head of cauliflower and will be fresher.
Size is not related to the quality, choose what you need.
Store in the refrigerator in a paper or plastic bag, it will be good up to a week.
Store the head of cauliflower stem down to prevent moisture forming in the floret clusters.
The florets are most often eaten, the stem and leaves are edible too, or add to soup stock.
Sauteing in water, vegetable or chicken broth is healthiest way of cooking.
YOU MIGHT LIKE……
eating well.com – Healthy Cauliflower Recipes and Cooking Tips
Food – Cauliflower Recipes
Julia Ann andcookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® . All rights reserved.