Sweet Potato – Cranberry Bread
The Scoop on Sweet Potatoes
There are many varieties and colors of sweet potatoes. The orange of the sweet potato provides the vitamin A, beta-carotene. To get the full benefit of beta-carotene, it is important to have some fat with your sweet-potato meals. Boiling or steaming the potatoes enhances the nutritional value. Additional nutrients include vitamin C, manganese, and potassium. The heath benefits of sweet potatoes are anti-inflammatory nutrients, antioxidants and blood-sugar regulating nutrients
How-to for Sweet Potato-Cranberry Bread
For years the only way sweet potatoes were eaten at our house was to have plenty of butter and brown sugar. Now we enjoy them seasoned with olive oil, thyme or oregano and minced ginger, baked at 425 F for 25 minutes or until tender, in a cast iron skillet. Add these toyour lettuce salad.
Sweet Potato - Cranberry Bread
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 cups sweet potatoes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Grease and line the bottoms of 2 - 9 x 5-inch loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Grease the parchment paper and dust pans with flour.
- Measure and sift the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Add the eggs, oil, water and sweet potatoes to the dry ingredients.
- Beat until smooth.
- Stir in the cranberries and nuts if used.
- Pour into the 2 greased and floured loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 F for 1 hour, or inserted toothpick come out clean.
- Take bread out of the pans while very warm.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or foil to cool completely.
- Can be frozen.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox®“Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.”Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.”nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.