A Charleston Discovery
Potato and Crab Meat Soup that I make isn’t the real discovery. Though a trip to Charleston, South Carolina was such a discovery of the beautiful, colorful city of many little flower gardens. There was a flower tucked into any place there was dirt, between houses, alleys or an empty spot. It was fascinating to see all the brass door knockers and historical homes. It has been many years since the visit, I hope it is the same.
Also enjoyed a hearty bowl of crab meat soup made with the “real stuff” such as Atlantic crabs and cream. The rest of the meal has been forgotten. Soup set me out on a search for a Charleston Cook Book. I came home with TWO HUNDRED YEARS OF CHARLESTON COOKING, 1976. There was a recipe for “She” Crab Soup. There was no way to duplicate the soup, however that did not stop me from trying an adaption or was it inspiration.
Potato and Crab Meat Soup
Potato and Crab Meat Soup
- 12 ounces lump crab meat drained and checked for shells
- 1 large russet potato diced 1/2 inch size
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon spice and herb blend
- A pinch of nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- Cook in a double boiler or heavy large sauce pan to prevent scorching.
- When using canned crab meat, check for shells; set aside.
- Peel and dice the potato, cook until soft; drain and set aside.
- Heat the milk and have ready to add to the mixture.
- Melt the butter in the double boiler or sauce pan.
- Add the onion and cook until it is soft and translucent
- Add the crab meat and potato and stir in the heated milk.
- Stir the flour and cream together to a smooth paste and pour into the milk mixture.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, Flavour-Enhancer Spice Blend, grated nutmeg and sherry.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes without letting soup come to a boil.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® brings
you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.
This recipe does not do justice to the original Charleston recipe, though enjoyable as a warming winter soup. My husband’s family use to have oyster stew on New Year’s Eve. We are not into oysters, so on our New Year’s Eve we have the Potato and Crab Meat Soup, a fruit salad, cake and a glass of white wine.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice®The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.”Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice®The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.