Persimmon Pudding time in IndianaMitchell, Indiana has a yearly Persimmon Festival in September, a week of activities, parades, rides, music and the grand contest of the Best Persimmon Pudding.
Although I have not entered the contest, I have a good recipe from my Aunt-in-Law. It has to be good as she has lots of practice; she is now 99 years old. She likes the ripe persimmons fresh off the tree. Her tree is the source of our persimmons as it has been for the family through the years. There has been Indiana Persimmon Pudding from that tree about 70 years.
We have a little tree it is now 4 years old grown from a seed. To get fruit, there must be a female tree and a male tree. We don’t know what gender our tree is. We have an even small tree in the yard. So maybe we will have our own persimmons someday.
I freeze 1 cup bags to use throughout the year. So this week I made the first pudding of this fall. Also while at her house my husband checked out the persimmon tree which is loaded with 1 inch size persimmons. The anticipation of ripe persimmons to come this fall in mid to late October.
Indiana Persimmon Pudding
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups persimmon pulp
- 2 cups buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat over to 325 F. Grease a 9 x 13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beat after each addition.
- Add the persimmon pulp and blend.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and sour milk, beat after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake 45 minutes or when cake tester comes out clean.
Persimmon Festival in Mitchell, Indiana
Persimmon Pudding from NYT Cooking
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® brings you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox®. All rights reserved.