Stop and think of the aroma of freshly baked bread. Home-made bread is always a delight and a treat. This loaf of Classic French Bread is easy and not to time-consuming. It is worth the extra effort to have a crusty warm loaf of bread with your favorite hearty soup. Left-overs, if there are any, can be used for bruschetta and bread pudding.
Make a big pot of soup using cookbookinabox® recipes for Summer Vegetable Soup and Corn and Mushroom Chowder as hearty soups.
Classic French Bread
- 1 package dry yeast 2 1/2 teaspoons
- Put the warm water and yeast into a large bowl or a mixing bowl, let stand for 5 minutes or until the yeast has bubbled on top.
- Whisk the flour, salt and sugar into a smaller bowl.
- Add the blended dry ingredients into the yeast mixture.
- Stir with spoon or beat with mixer using a dough hook until blended.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured bread board or counter and knead about 5 minutes; roll into a ball.
- Spray a large bowl with the cooking spray.
- Put the ball of dough into the greased bowl, roll it around to coat the top side.
- Cover, let rise in a warm place (85 F) free from drafts until doubled in size (45 minutes or hour.
- Punch dough down and pour onto a lightly floured board or counter and shape
- into a loaf, round or long.
- Put it onto a greased baking sheet.
- Cover dough into warm place until doubled in size (30 minutes +/-)
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Make 2 diagonal cuts across of the top with a sharp knife.
- Beat the water and egg white together, brush over the top of bread.
- Bake at 450F for 20 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
This can also be made in a food processor. Mix the flour, salt and sugar first in the process, then add the yeast mixture. Process until dough forms a ball, process additional minute. Turn the dough out to knead for 5 minutes. This recipe is from Cooking Light Annual Recipes 1999, p 35......cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® s, bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. 2007-2018 Netta Belle's Choice cookbookinabox "Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off." All rights reserved.
Enjoy your soup and crusty Classic French Bread, Make it often.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.