Honey Crisp Apples make delicious applesauce.
We were in central Indiana last week, passed an orchard by New Castle, Indiana and could not resist the big sign of Honey Crisp Apples. So we bought a few, they were so large and nice. After a apple crumb pie, apple salad, applesauce, apples with cabbage, fried apples, snacking on apples, we needed more apples. This time we got seconds, said to be used for cooking, well, they were as good as the prime apples for eating.
Applesauce, just right for snack time or on top of toast.
Applesauce is a favorite fruit to have on hand for desserts, eating on bread or to use in baking. This time I decided to get out the crock pot. That really makes it easy and a time saver to do other things while the apples are cooking.
I did plain applesauce: cooked apples and put the sauce into clean jars to be kept in the refrigerator. I did actually preserve some by using water bath canning.. I anticipated a much larger batch of applesauce. A lot of water boiling, for cleaning jars and for water bath kettle for 3 pints of applesauce. Oh well, it was a good practice as I do not do canning often.
Crock Pot Applesauce
- 15 large apples
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Put 2 tablespoon lemon juice into large bowl.
- Peel, core and cut apples into 1 1/2 inch chunks or 8ths put into the large bowl.
- Stir frequently to get the lemon juice on the apples to prevent browning.
- Put into the crock pot.
- Add the water, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook in the crock pot for 2 hours on high.
- Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Put into clean pint jars and cover with lids,
- Store in refrigerator to use.
- Or store cans on the shelf after water bath canning.
For recipes using applesauce, check out this sites:
Simply Recipes.com – Applesauce Spice Cake
foodnetwork.com – Roasted Pork Loin with Cider and Chunky Applesauce
Popsugar.com – Recipes Using Applesauce
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.