Each spring we look for daffodils, tulips, green grass and dandelions. Then we look for the bunches of asparagus in the produce departments of the grocery. Asparagus is now available all year round, but it is in the spring the stalks and tips are tenderest. Also let’s face it, a better price per bunch.
Asparagus can be used many ways, it is good mixed in a melange of roasted vegetables seasons with olive oil, rosemary, spice Blend, crushed red pepper, oregano flakes and sea salt.
- Caraway Pie Dough a 10 inch single crust
- Make the Caraway Pie Dough
- Mix flour, salt and caraway seeds together in food processor.
- Add butter and shortening.
- Process until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Add the ice water until the dough will stick together.
- Roll into a ball, flatten into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap to refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to fit a greased 10 inch pie plate or tart pan.
- Prick dough lightly with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Custard Filling
- Wash and trim bottom ends off the asparagus.
- Cut into 2 1/2 inch pieces.
- Blanch for 3 minutes in boiling water, drain and rinse in cold water.
- Save asparagus tips separately.
- In a bowl, blend the cream, cream cheese and eggs, one at a time. It will be lumpy.
- Blend in the salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
- Spread the asparagus stalks evenly over the dough.
- Pour in half of the custard filling.
- Bake 15 minutes on the lowest shelf of the oven.
- Remove from oven; pour in the remaining filling.
- Arrange the asparagus tips around the edge of pie.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Reduce temperature of the oven to 375 F.
- Return to the bottom shelf of the oven to bake 40 minutes.
- Test for doneness: when a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Rest the tart for 15 minutes before serving.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.”
nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
Recipe inspired by The Best of Food and Wine, 1990, pp 193-94.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.