RED BELL PEPPERS STUFFED W/ BEANS AND RICE
Red bell peppers have become a favorite at our house. I have oven roasted peppers available in the freezer most of the time. They are available to add to sauces, soups, meatloaf or stews. Roasted red bell peppers are good with oregano, olive oil, garlic, and balsamic vinegar. Now that is a completely different recipe.
For a festive and nutritional entree for a family night dinner, serve Red Bell Peppers Stuffed w/ Beans and Rice. This is one of those dishes that came about when I had lots of peppers and left over rice. Just the beginning fixings for stuffed peppers with addition of refried beans.
Red Bell Peppers Stuffed w/ Beans & Rice
- 2 large red bell peppers
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil baking dish that will peppers upright.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds, wash inside and out.
- Parboil peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In saucepan, combine rice in the cup of broth and cup of water.
- Bring to boil and simmer until tender and water absorbed, 15-20 minutes.
- Keep rice warm.
- In a microwave dish, blend the fat-free refried beans, tomato paste, onion and hot sauce to taste. Add more broth to make beans a thinner mixture.
- Heat 3 minutes to heat through.
- Mix 1 1/2 cup of rice and 1 1/2 cup of bean mixture.
- Stuff parboiled bell pepper cups the rice/bean mixture.
- Set stuffed peppers in the prepared baking dish, top with shredded cheese until heated through and cheese is melted.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.
I use 2 large red bell peppers, cut lengthwise, wash inside and out, remove the seeds and white membrane from inside the peppers.
The first time I made this I had left over white long-grain rice, otherwise, I prepare the rice. Brown rice would be an excellent rice to choose for the healthy benefits.
Serve with steamed kale or lettuce salad.
A very brief summary.
Bell peppers are an excellent source of beta-carotene, vitamin C, A and E. The nutrients give antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits, to help prevent disease and infections.
Beans are known for non-animal protein, vitamin B 6, fiber and complex carbohydrate which is slower to digest and gives energy. Refried beans may contain bacon fat or lard, onion or garlic. There are canned fat-free refried beans available.
Rice is an important source of complex carbohydrates. White rice grain had the germ and bran polished away which does decrease the nutrient value. Enriched white rice has folate, vitamin B, added. Brown and wild rice have more nutrients and fiber, therefore considered healthier. There are many types of rice different nutritional values.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat & Trdmk. Off. Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.