A colorful quiche with lots of vegetables spinach, zucchini, orange bell peppers and mushrooms.
Spinach and Zucchini Quiche is a delightful luncheon main dish. It is adapted from a recipe from Nicholas Mosse an Irish tableware pottery company. I am trying to make more whole-wheat recipes for bread and pastry. I made a whole-wheat pie dough. It was not so delightful, it was tough! So back to the drawing board or use regular white all-purpose flour. There is whole-wheat pastry flour which I haven’t tried. I recommend you to use your favorite one -crust pastry recipe for the Spinach and Zucchini Quiche 9-inch pie. Before pouring the filling into the single crust pie shell, it is best to partially bake first. To prevent the edges of the crust from collapsing, the bottom from puffing up or have a soggy bottom, fit aluminum foil into pie shell. Lightly oil the shiny side of the foil, gently put it into the pie shell pressing it up the sides, then add enough baking beads or dried beans on the foil to weight it down. An alternative to using foil and beads, set a lightly buttered pie plate, the same size, into the pie shell and weight it down. Bake in preheated 450ºF oven for about 15 minutes. After 5 minutes, if the sides of the dough has collapsed, it can be pushed up with a spatula. Remove the foil of beads or beans or pie plate, bake again for a few minutes to set the shell. It will separate a bit from the edges. Cool the pie shell before adding the filling.
Spinach - Zucchini Quiche
- 6 ounces of frozen chopped spinach defrosted and squeezed very dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the 9-inch pie shell.
- Thaw the spinach and squeeze dry.
- Peel and save strips of the zucchini skin.
- Grate the zucchini pulp.
- Mix spinach, grated zucchini and garlic together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Break the eggs in a 2 cup measure, add milk to equal 2 cups
- Mix eggs and milk together.
- Put the vegetables into the cooled crust.
- Set the cream cheese into the center.
- Pour the egg mixture over vegetables and cheese.
- Arrange the zucchini peel and bell peppers into a petal shape on top and around cheese.
- Insert the mushroom slices around the edge of the filling and one in the middle of the cheese.
- Add bits of butter on top of quiche.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, check to see if puffed up and it is done when knife inserted will come out clean.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.”
nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com .All rights reserved.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.