Netta Belle’s Choice® Braised Fennel and Carrots
Fennel has a flavor of anise, a mild licorice taste. In many of the grocery stores it is sold as anise. Fennel can be eaten raw in salads with vegetables or fruits, cooked by braising, sauteing, stir-frying, steaming, or roasting. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C, dietary fiber, potassium, manganese and folate. The seeds are used in sausage, meat loaf, tomato sauces and bread. The seeds make a nice flavor to a fruit salad with the mild licorice taste.
Carrots, a versatile vegetable, are good to snack raw or even in a cake for dessert. Carrots are in salads, side dishes, stews, soups and roasts. They have a sweet taste, particularly when cooked in any variety of techniques as in Braised Fennel and Carrots. Vitamin A is the highest nutrient in carrots, along with vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin C, potassium, manganese as well as smaller percentages of vitamin B6, B3, B1, B2 and E.
Braised Fennel and Carrots
- 1 fennel bulb cut into quarters lengthwise
- 1 ½ cup carrots cut into 3 inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth low fat
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp vinegar white wine
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves dried whole
- salt and pepper to your taste
- Trim fennel bulb, cut off stems, leaves and the bottom.
- Wash thoroughly, cut into quarters. Cut out the core or heart of the bulb.
- Wash and scrape carrots, cut into 3-inches pieces then quarters.
- Mince garlic cloves.
- Combine broth, oil, garlic, fennel, carrots into a large saucepan.
- Bring vegetables to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove vegetables to a warm bowl, cover and keep warm.
- Increase heat on liquid, reduce to 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes.
- Mix the wine vinegar, sugar, thyme and seasonings
- Heat through.
- Pour the seasoned syrup over the warm vegetables before serving.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com All rights reserved.