Sugar Cookies are special treats for holidays.To add a special flare to a holiday it is fun to have special Sugar Cookies Recipe to highlight the day, especially if you have children. I missed February with red hearts Sugar Cookies, so I tried for March with the green Shamrocks. Since my children are out of state and my grand-girls do not live nearby, I am not as prone to make the rolled cookies. We are kids at heart, so my husband and I enjoyed every Shamrock Sugar Cookie.
Thanks to Betty Crocker for this Sugar Cookie recipe.
See the How-to Make Sugar Cookies, a blog in pictures.
- COOKIE DOUGH
- 1½ cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond flavoring
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- CREAMY I
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (or almond, peppermint, coconut or lemon)
- 1½ tablespoon cream or 1 tablespoon of water
- food coloring
- In mixing bowl, cream sugar and butter.
- Add egg and flavorings, mix thoroughly.
- In smaller bowl, measure the flour, soda and cream of tartar together, whisk or sift.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Refrigerate 2-3 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Divide dough in half and roll 3/16-inch thick on lightly floured pastry cloth.
- Cut with cookie cutter or cut shapes with a knife.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet or on pans lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or delicately golden.
- Makes 5 dozen 2 to 2½ inch cookies.
- CREAMY ICING
- Blend sugar, salt, flavoring (try almond, peppermint, coconut or lemon)
- Add cream to make it easy to spread.
- Tint with a few drops of food coloring.
- Spread on cookies with spatula or pastry brush.
- Makes icing for 3 to 5 dozen cookies, depending on size.
©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk.Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office.” nettabelleschoice.com and cookbookinabox.com. All rights reserved.