Southwest Vegetarian Pot Pie
Using what I learned!
At a local cooking class, once again I was kicked out of my usual thinking: pot pies have to have a pastry crust or puff pastry. Biscuits and refrigerated rolls out of a can are quick and easy toppings. I had never thought of cornbread. When do I bake cornbread? Usually when serving chili or soups there is a pan of cornbread. Now to be creative! What else goes with corn bread other than ham and beans. BEANS?
The west is a fascinating landscape, so colorful and different from the mid-west states. When- ever we drove out to Arizona, I always liked to stop at the Pueblo Indiana Cultural Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico to look in the shops, the museum and the Restaurant. The food was so good, but look out for the salsa. Hot!!!
So here is my version of Southwest Vegetarian Pot Pie Recipe.
Southwest Vegetarian Pot Pie
A blend of southwestern vegetables and seasoning with topping of corn bread, quick and easy to bake together for a one dish meal.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1-15 ounce pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups corn (frozen or whole kernel corn, drained)
- 1-15 ounce tomatoes (diced and with juice)
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water (if needed for more liquid)
- CORN BREAD TOPPING
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven 400 F.
- Use 8-inch cast iron skillet (or grease 2 quart casserole dish)
- Heat olive oil in skillet.
- Add onion, celery, red bell pepper, and garlic to softened.
- Add remaining vegetables.
- Heat to simmering.
- MIX CORNBREAD TOPPING
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Add milk, egg and oil.
- Stir until just mixed, do not beat until smooth.
- Pour over the bubbling vegetables in cast iron skillet (Or pour hot vegetables into greased casserole and cover with corn bread batter.
- Bake 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese on top, set in oven to melt cheese.
cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® Spices, bring you great recipes, outstanding herbs and spices for your cooking experience.———
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring
you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.
Enjoy an evening dinner with Southwest Vegetarian Pot Pie.
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes for your cooking experience. ©2007-2018 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.