Meatless Navy Bean Soup
Meatless Navy Bean Soup
Pressure cooker speeds up the cooking.
A pot of beans on a busy day is a good day’s meal . I like to cook the dried navy beans in the pressure cooker then store in pint jars ready for use in soups, stews, with vegetables or baked beans. I do not put meat in bean soup, mainly for health reasons there is no ham. Though wouldn’t ham, bacon, pork or even chicken be a good addition? That gets to be your choice.
A good use for the pressure cooker:
This was 1 1/2 cups of dried navy beans, soaked in 4 cups of water for 4 to 8 hours. After they are drained, I put them in the pressure cooker add enough water to cover about 1/2 inch, no salt or seasonings at this time. They are cooked for 11 minutes under 15 lbs. of pressure. I turn off the heat and let the pressure come down slowly before opening. I like a softer bean for soup, the reasons for the longer cooking. This makes 2 pints of beans and the broth. Best to follow your pressure cookers instructions. OR simply buy 2-3 cans of navy or great northern beans.
I like to add onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, carrots, one small potato and fresh grated ginger to soup. These I cook in a little water in the microwave on high until almost tender. Now I am ready assemble the Meatless Navy Bean Soup. The final addition to the soup seasoning is a natural mesquite liquid smoke.
- 1½ cups dried navy beans
- 4 cups of water to soak beans
- soaked beans
- 2 cups water
- OR 2 cups canned beans and juice
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- ¼ cup jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup carrots, finely diced
- ½ cup potato, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 1 cup chicken broth or more if thinner soup is preferred.
- 2 teaspoons mesquite liquid smoke
- Soak the dried beans in the 4 cups of water 4-8 hours.
- Drain beans, cook in pressure cooker with water to cover, 11 minutes.
- Put 2 cups cooked beans and juice into a large pot.
- Add all the vegetables together in a microwave proof bowl with ¼-1/2 cup water.
- Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked vegetables and water to the beans.
- Add the chicken or vegetable broth.
- Add the mesquite liquid smoke.
- Simmer 30 minutes.
Benefits of making home-made Meatless Navy Bean Soup
The great benefit of making any soup is the freedom to substitute or make changes as you prepare. Now of course there are times when making a specific recipe is the goal. That is the fun and challenge of cooking.
Suggestions for the the rest of the meal:
Julia Ann and cookbookinabox® in partnership with Netta Belle’s Choice® bring you great recipes, outstanding herbs and spices for your cooking experience. ©2007-2017 Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® “Reg. U.S. Pat. & Trdmk. Off.” Reg. “Trade-marks Canadian Intellectual Property Office. “ Netta Belle’s Choice® The Art of Gourmet Cookery® cookbookinabox® All rights reserved.